David Dayen, a frighteningly intelligent individual and one of the netroots’ resident experts on mortgage fraud and housing policy, has 20 questions about President Obama’s agenda on housing policy. They’re all notable and excellent, yes, but allow me to highlight a few for your erudition:

5. Why do you continually distinguish between what you call “responsible” and “irresponsible” homeowners (your fact sheet on the second-term housing agenda references “responsible” borrowers 10 times)? Do you use the same language to single out “irresponsible” welfare or food stamp recipients or natural disaster victims? Isn’t it the job of the lender to check a borrower’s credit-worthiness, and subsequently how “responsible” their decision is to take out the loan? Haven’t banks admitted to preying on communities with low incomes and poor financial literacy, steering them into risky, higher-cost loans? Why aren’t you talking about “irresponsible” banks?

6. Your Consumer Financial Protection Bureau says that banks are still steering borrowers into riskier, higher-cost loans. How is this still happening?

Lending is supposed to entail risk. Lenders, consequently, are expected to be judicious when issuing loans. And yet, if the government chooses to only protect “responsible” borrowers, what motivation do lenders have to fix the problem that got us into this mess in the first place?

Of course, coming last but no less valuable is question 20:

20. Ultimately, your plan would preserve the 30-year fixed-rate mortgage, and what economist Adam Posen calls “the cult of homeownership.” Should we rethink the value of homeownership as a wealth-building tool, because it burdens Americans with more risks than rewards, and because new research shows that rises in homeownership accompany rises in the unemployment rate? Should we reconsider ways in which we subsidize homeownership, like with the mortgage interest deduction? Should we provide incentives for saving that aren’t tied up in volatile home equity?

This brings me to the reasons why I’m here. As you may know, Mister Anderson, the building of wealth can be done in two ways: by increasing wages, or by inflating assets. If the objective is, as we claim, to rebuild and preserve the middle class, should we not focus on increasing stable wages, rather than pretend that wealth is being built on paper through risky fluctuations in housing asset prices? Was it not this very system that led us to collapse in the first place? And even if we agree to use housing asset inflation as a wealth-building tool, why not focus on fixing the systematic abuses by the housing finance industry first?

Many questions, and few answers.

About the Author

Agent Smith

I am no longer an agent of this system. I am a new man, so to speak. Like you, apparently, free.

22 Responses to David Dayen’s 20 questions for Obama

1. Miica says:

Hi s tsui,After reading your cnomemt, I understand why it took you a few weeks to sum up your thoughts while the others simply chuckled as they read the entry and gave responses almost instantly.:)I like all your points because they are so distinct. Nevertheless – >Many of the best reports I’ve read draw conclusions from highly systematic and thorough analyses. “简单就是美” only exists in aesthetics, not in scientific inquiries.L- Yet these good reports can also be succinct and to the point.Let me give you an example and quote some text from the book I’m currently reading (Insanely Great by Steven Levy):”When you start looking at a problem and it seems really simply, with simple solutions, you don’t really understand the complexity of the problem. Your solutions are way over simplified.Then you get into the problem, and you see that it’s really complicated, and you come up with all these convoluted solutions. That’s sort of the middle, and that’s where most people stop…But the really great person will keep on going and find the key, the underlying principle of the problem. And come up with an elegant, really beautiful solution that works.”When the principle applies to analysis reports, I think it’s the third kind of reports that Tony Tsoi’s referring to.

2. Leif says:

Hello would you mind stating which blog platform you’re using?
    I’m looking to start my own blog soon but I’m having a hard
    time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your layout seems different
    then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique.
    P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!

My web blog … recipes for vegetarians [Leif]

3. I constantly spent mmy half an hokur too read this weblog’s articles all
    the time along with a mug oof coffee.

My web page: clarisonic mia 2 cheap

4. Nader szałowy post, badawcze wpisy zalecam wszystkim literaturę

5. Strona świadczy o dobrych wydarzeniach, namawiam do dyskusji

6. Strona świadczy o interesujących zagadnieniach, zachęcam do rozmowy

7. more says:

Piece of writing writing is also a fun, if you know after that you can write
    otuerwise it is difficult to write.

8. system ivr says:

Fabuła bliska każdemu, zalecam lekturę

9. lotto says:

Ciekawe wpisy, dobra tematyka

10. Każdy z nas zetknął się z problemem, rekomenduję zaznajomienie się
    z przedmiotem.

11. Dobre, dobre, dobre rekomenduję każdemu!

12. Great post. I userd to be checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!
    Extremely helpful info partticularly the closing part :
    ) I take care of such information a lot. I was seeking this certain info for a long time.
    Thank you and best of luck.

13. http://kerdana.com/

رحلات عمرة, رحلات عمرة 2014, رحلات تركيا, رحلات شهر العسل,
    حجز تذاكر, رحلات حج, حجز طيران
    شركة كردانه للسياحة والرحلات تعمل فى مجالات
    السياحة الدينية و الداخلية والخارجية وحجز تذاكر
    الطيران مثل رحلات الحج ورحلات العمرة و رحلات تركيا و رحلات الأقصر وأسوان و نوفر جميع الرحلات الداخلية
    والخارجية

14. Nadzwyczaj wartościowy wpis, polecam ludziom

15. If you wish for to get a good deal from this article then you
    have to apply such methods to your won weblog.

16. Szczególnie wartościowy tekst, zalecam ludziom

17. http://kerdana.com/

رحلات عمرة, رحلات عمرة 2014, رحلات تركيا, رحلات شهر العسل,
    حجز تذاكر, رحلات حج, حجز طيران
    شركة كردانه للسياحة والرحلات تعمل فى مجالات
    السياحة الدينية و الداخلية والخارجية وحجز تذاكر
    والخارجية

18. http://kerdana.com/

رحلات عمرة, رحلات عمرة 2014, رحلات تركيا, رحلات شهر العسل,
    حجز تذاكر, رحلات حج, حجز طيران
    شركة كردانه للسياحة والرحلات تعمل فى مجالات
    السياحة الدينية و الداخلية والخارجية وحجز تذاكر

19. Very good site you have here but I was curious if you knew
    of any user discussion forums that cover the same topics talked about
    in this article? I’d really love to be a part of group where I can get responses from other knowledgeable individuals that share the
    same interest. If you have any suggestions, please
    let me know. Thanks a lot!

20. Roberta says:

Overall, Need for Speed Rivals is a joyful, arcade style of racing game that is actually a breath of
    fresh-air when you look at some of the more serious
    racers out there. Having some trouble deciding which would work best on your vehicle.
    I’m not talking only about the eating of physical food.

21. I blog frequently and I seriously appreciate your
    content. Thhe article has really peaked my interest. I
    am going to take a note of your blog and keep checkijg for new details about oncce
    per week.I opted in for your RSS feed as well.

22. great publish, very informative. I ponder why the opposite
    specialists of this sector do not understand
    this. You must proceed your writing. I am sure, you have a great readers’ base already!